Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Week 9 readings & muddy point



XML: Martin Bryan
Ok. XML is a formal language which can be used to 'pass information about
component parts of a
document to another computer system.'  It is object-oriented, hierarchical, and
 is a clearly defined format.  
Luckily, the other readings for this week cleared this all up for me.

XML Standards: Uchi Ogbuji
I sense that XML is a deeper language than HTML.  I looked at the ZVON
XML
tutorial (
http://www.zvon.org/xxl/XMLTutorial/General/book.html
posted on this page, and began to see what XML is about.  I think I can
do it.

Tutorial: Andre Bergholz: I was unable to locate this at the URL provided,
 and in the magazine
 it was published.  Through the U Pitt Libraries, I found the IEEE Internet
 Computing Journal for
 July 2000, but the pages 74-79 ( this article) were missing.  As proof, I've
included the two
sandwiching articles.  The ZVON Tutorial helped a lot however so I feel ok
about missing this one.

From July 2000 IEEE Internet Computing: U Pitt E journals:


Building an IP network quality-of-service testbed

McWherter, D.T.; Sevy, J.; Regli, W.C.
Page(s): 65-73
Digital Object Identifier 10.1109/4236.865089
Abstract  | Full Text: PDF (124 KB) 
Rights and Permissions
Dreams of a unified information space W3C activities at WWW9
Woods, S.
Page(s): 81-83
Digital Object Identifier 10.1109/MIC.2000.865090
Abstract  | Full Text: PDF (84 KB) 
Rights and Permissions

________________________________________________
XML Schema Tutorial:
Deeper than XML, better than DTD, it enhances both using coding
 language already in existence, and boasts standardized formations
 to avoid confusion in dates or quantities.  Largely way over my head.

Muddiest Point: Not so much for class, but as in how these readings
could apply to me.  Could I actually use these in a web page?
 It's worth a try!








1 comment:

RAlessandria said...

I'm happy for you that the readings were clear for you, because I feel like I just swam through a swamp full of mud. I just don't understand what XML is and how it is different than HTML. Is XML a language or a translator of code?